Dried fruits are some of the healthiest alternatives to refined sugar, and they are an excellent way to satisfy a sweet craving. Dried fruit is a quick and tasty way to get those same benefits during a busy, fast-paced day.
While fruit itself is high in naturally occurring sugar, many dried fruits have additional sugar added for extra flavor. It is very important to avoid those products that are more like candy than a healthy snack. Some of the main dried fruits to avoid are Pineapple, Banana Chips (yes they are considered to be DRIED fruits), and Watermelon. Given below are a list of dried fruits that are a must have.
· Apple: Apples act as antioxidants, ridding the body of cancer causing free-radicals. They are also a great source of dietary fiber.
· Apricot also known as jardalu is a good source of fiber; they also contain vitamin A, C and Iron.
· Mango or well eaten as aam papad help in maintaining healthy skin and the immunity.
· Figs, commonly known as anjeer are healthy and rich in iron.
· Raisin: Often called “nature’s candy,” raisins are cholesterol-free, low in sodium, high in fiber and totally fat-free.
· Plum: A dried plum is called a prune. Prunes are a great source of vitamins and have the added benefit of regulating the digestive system.
· Tomato: Surprise! Tomato is a fruit, and sun-dried tomatoes are a great way to get the cancer-reducing properties of tomato and are beneficial to the eyes.
Image Source: http://bit.ly/WIvYxA